The farm just down the road from home is our very first stop of summer.
Sometimes – like life, I suppose – the picking’s easy and the berries are plump, juicy, and just about bursting. Other years, the berries are almost picked out and we have to work hard for every single one.
Yesterday’s picking was far beyond anyone’s reasonable expectations. These berries, dressed in all their red, ripe finery, all but jumped into our baskets one after another after another.
Maybe it was my first-day-of-vacation euphoria, but it sure did feel like a celebration!
Here’s a quick little strawberry yogurt pie I made for breakfast today.
- 5 packages cinnamon brown sugar breakfast biscuits (20 biscuits)
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 32 oz container plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- bunches (and bunches) of fresh strawberries
For the crust:
- Crush 4 packages of biscuits in a gallon bag with a rolling pin.
- Melt the butter.
- Mix both biscuits and melted butter until evenly moistened.
- Press mixture into 9 inch pie plate to form crust.
- Bake crust at 375° for 10 minutes.
For the filling:
- Dice as many strawberries as you’d like to (liberally) mix in the plain yogurt.This is not the time to be conservative.
- Spoon mixture into the crust.
For the topping:
- Top with even… more … berries. Artfully arranged.
- Crush one last package of biscuits along with a tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Sprinkle atop your creation.
Tangy takes turns with sweet and crunchy and … hello summer!