When you’re a teacher, you get two New Years – one in January and one in September. Teachers get two times to begin again and start fresh. And each New Year – both of them – I vow to get it right. Whatever it is at the moment.
This will be the year, I promise myself. This will be the year I …
Honestly, I’ve filled in the blank and ended that promise in so many ways over the years … but this – this is the year it will be different.
Here I am, the day before school starts, promising in public to eat both breakfast and lunch this school year.
Each and every day.
Hand to heart.
It’s an important promise for my health, my happiness, and my hope for a great New Year ahead.
So let’s start with today’s breakfast: Peach Berry Smoothies
I’m not going to get all fancy with you because I don’t have time for fancy in the morning and you probably don’t either. But you have time for this. And it’s flexible enough to be adapted in a hundred and one different ways.
It’s hip to fling fruit around.
Peach Berry Smoothies
- 1 heaping cup of fresh peaches, pitted and diced
- 1 heaping half cup of fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 quarter cup orange juice (I added a couple of splashes of cranberry juice too because I had it in the fridge.)
- 1 heaping half cup yogurt
- 1 cup ice
- a tiny teaspoon of brown sugar
- a tinier splash of vanilla
Toss it all in a blender and pulse.
Serve in a mug – with a straw if you’d like to start your day off a little dainty.
I just grab and go!